For free and confidential legal advice about this topic, please contact us here.

Navigate this page

What is defamation?

The law of defamation is used to protect someone’s reputation. Defamation occurs where someone hurts the reputation of another by spreading false information about them.

When will something be defamatory?

Dan has defamed Paula if he has communicated something defamatory of Paula to another person.

      1. The material must be communicated by Dan to another person, other than Paula. The material can be communicated by whatever means, such as tweeting a tweet, posting on Facebook, or writing graffiti on a public wall.
      2. The material must be about Paula. The material will be about someone if it names them. If the material doesn’t name someone, it will be about them if a person would reasonably believe it’s about them.
      3. The material must be defamatory of Paula. Material is defamatory of someone if it causes an average person to think less of them. However, material may be damaging without being defamatory.


What can I do if I think someone has defamed me?

Someone may have defamed you if they have communicated something defamatory about you to another person.

If you think you have been defamed, it is important to remember that the defamatory material must cause the average person to think less of you. Material you personally find hurtful or material you personally disagree with will not necessarily be defamation – for example, if the material is substantially true or is unlikely to cause you harm.

If you think you have been defamed, there are a number of legal and non-legal pathways available to you:

      1. you can ask the person who defamed you to take down the material;
      2. you can report the defamatory material to social media and ask them to take down the material (if it was posted on Facebook or Twitter etc);
      3. you can send the person who defamed you with a legal notice asking them to take down the material and make a public correction;
      4. you can sue the person who defamed you (or anyone involved in defaming you) for defamation. If you have been defamed, you usually must sue within the time limit of 1 year from when the material was communicated.

When taking a legal pathway, it is important to know that legal action can be very expensive, complicated, and involve unforeseen consequences. If you think you have been defamed, you should see a lawyer.

If you successfully sue someone for defamation, the court may award you money (as damages) to compensate you for damage to your reputation, your hurt feelings, and any economic loss you have suffered. The court may also stop the person who defamed you from publishing defamatory material about you in the future (which is called an injunction).

If you want more specific advice on this topic, please contact us here.


What can I do if I think I have defamed someone?

You may have defamed someone if you have communicated something defamatory about them to another person. If you think you have defamed someone, you should apologise to the person you defamed and take the material down.

If the person you defamed wishes to sue you for defamation, or sends you a legal notice asking you to take down the material and apologise, you should see a lawyer for advice.

If you have defamed someone, you may be able to defend yourself from being sued. There are a number of ways to defend yourself, such as justification, honest opinion and triviality.

If you are worried that you may have defamed someone, you can contact us here for free and confidential legal advice.


Justification is where the defamatory material is substantially true. However, you shouldn’t say something is true when it isn’t, as that can lead to worse consequences.


Triviality is where the defamatory material is unlikely to cause the defamed person any harm. For example, there may be a defence of triviality when the defamatory material is only communicated to a small amount of people.

Honest Opinion

This defence protects you if you are being sued over an opinion you honestly hold. You must show that your statement is genuinely an opinion (rather than a statement of fact), that your opinion is based on facts referred to and that it is about a matter of public interest (including something placed up for public criticism such as a movie or a restaurant).  For example, if you publish a disparaging review of a café on Facebook and are then sued, you can probably rely on this defence.

Absolute privilege

If you make a defamatory statement in Parliament or in court proceedings, you cannot be sued for it.  This is because the legal system recognises that sometimes, the right to free speech is more important than protecting someone’s reputation.

Qualified privilege

If you tell someone something they have an interest in knowing about and act reasonably while doing so, you may be protected from being sued for defamation.  One example of this situation is if you report someone to the police. Even if your allegations are false, you cannot be sued for defamation as long as you honestly believed them.  However you will not be protected if you repeat the allegations to other people – this would be considered unreasonable, because the only people who have an interest in investigating crime are the police.

Similarly, if you are asked to provide an employment reference for someone and you write something unflattering, they cannot sue you because their prospective employer has an interest in knowing about their behaviour. On the other hand, if you post a Facebook status repeating the information, you won’t be protected because your Facebook friends are unlikely to have a legitimate interest in receiving the information.

Got a question you can't get answered?

If you have a problem or a question, you can send it to us today and we can provide you with free advice, information and referrals to help solve your problem. Just click on the button below.

Get help now

Select Your State or Territory

The law is different in each state and territory. Please select your state or territory to view legal information that applies to you.