When can I start working?

Do you have a question about work? For free and confidential legal advice, you can ask us a question here  or contact us on 1800 950 570 (9am – 5pm (AEST), Monday to Friday).

You can start work at any age, however until you turn 15, there are restrictions on the type of work you can do and the number of hours you can work. You can start full time work when you finish year 10 or turn 17, whichever happens first.

For free and confidential legal advice about this topic, please contact us here. 

Navigate this page

How old do I need to be to start work in the Northern Territory?

You can start part-time or casual work at any age in the Northern Territory. However, it is against the law for an employer or your parent, to allow you to work at times or in a type of job that will make it harder for you to learn at school. For example, working late at night, when you have school the next day. 

What hours can I work?

It is against the law for an employer to employ you or for your parents to let you work during hours that you are required to be at school.   

If you are under 15, it is against the law for your parents or an employer to let you work after 10pm or before 6am or to do dangerous or damaging work.

If you are under 15, it is also against the law for parents or an employer to require you to perform any work that would be harmful to your physical, mental or emotional wellbeing or any work that would involve your exploitation. 

If you have any questions about the hours you work, you can contact us here. 

When can I work full-time?

You can work full-time if you have completed year 10 and are 15 years old. In the Northern Territory, the law says that you have to go to school from when you turn 6 until you finish Year 10 or turn 17 (whichever happens first). For more information, please see our When can I leave School page. 

Where can I get further help?

You can visit our other factsheets related to work here:  

For information and advice about your rights, entitlements and obligations as an employee, check out our other employment topics or visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website 

If you are 24 or under and you are unsure about your rights or responsibilities or what to do next, you can get free, confidential legal advice here.

Find information about starting work in other states

Got a question you can't get answered?

If you have a problem or a question, you can send it to us today and we can provide you with free advice, information and referrals to help solve your problem. Just click on the button below.

Get help now

Select Your State or Territory

The law is different in each state and territory. Please select your state or territory to view legal information that applies to you.