Travel and concession cards

For free and confidential legal advice about this topic, please contact us here.

Navigate this page

School students

School buses or public buses are available in Darwin and Alice Springs. Tickets are free for school students to and from school.  

To travel for free,you generally need to either be in school uniform of have your Student ID card on you.  

If you aren’t wearing uniform, you need to have your ID on you.

University students

If you study at an Australian university or TAFE, you can travel on a concession ticket. Student concession are available for all international students and are $1 or $2 per trip, or $7 for a week of unlimited travel. You have to make sure you have your ID card on you.

What will happen if I travel without my travel/concession card?

You could be fined if you don’t have your school or uni ID card on you but you pay a concession fare.

What are rules about behaving on public transport?

When you’re travelling on public transport in Northern Territory, you have to follow certain rules including:

  • not smoking or drinking alcohol
  • eating
  • swearing
  • being a nuisance, for example by yelling and carrying on.

If you break any of these rules constantly, you could be:

This page was last updated in April 2015.

Got a question you can't get answered?

If you have a problem or a question, you can send it to us today and we can provide you with free advice, information and referrals to help solve your problem. Just click on the button below.

Get help now

Select Your State or Territory

The law is different in each state and territory. Please select your state or territory to view legal information that applies to you.