Age to leave school

For free and confidential legal advice about this topic, please contact us here.

Navigate this page

When can I leave school?

In South Australia, you have to go to school from the age of 6 until you turn 16 years of age.

Once you turn 16 you can:

  • decide to stay in school until the end of year 12, including studying for your SACE, IB or Steiner Education Course
  • do some kind of approved education full time (TAFE courses, enrol in a university degree, diploma or other course)
  • do approved training full time (for example an apprenticeship or traineeship)
  • do a combination of approved training and approved education

For more information about apprenticeships, visit:

To find out more about TAFE, visit:

You have to do these things until you turn 17 years old or gain a qualification under one of the options we’ve outlined above. 

Once you turn 17 or achieve a qualification under an approved learning program, you don’t have to continue with any kind of education or training, but it’s a good idea to because it will increase your chances of getting a job in the future.

In very special circumstances, you can get permission to leave school before Year 10.

What happens if I don’t go to school?

If you don’t go to school when you’re required to (between the age of 6 and 16, or until do approved education or training until you’re 17), your parents can get in trouble and even be fined. If you have a good reason for not attending school (for example, a medical condition), then your parents won’t get in trouble.

If you’re not at school during school hours, a police officer or someone from the Education Department can stop you in a public place and ask you your name, address and age. They can also take you to school or to your parents.

Unhappy at school?

If you’re not happy at school, it’s a good idea to talk to someone about what’s going on. You may want to talk to your school counsellor or career counsellor.

Also check out this factsheet from Reach Out:

If you have any more questions about leaving school, you can get help here.

Got a question you can't get answered?

If you have a problem or a question, you can send it to us today and we can provide you with free advice, information and referrals to help solve your problem. Just click on the button below.

Get help now

Select Your State or Territory

The law is different in each state and territory. Please select your state or territory to view legal information that applies to you.