For free and confidential legal advice about this topic, please contact us here.

Navigate this page

What is an apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a formal training program where you will combine study, usually at TAFE, while actually working in your chosen field – so you can earn as you learn and get real world training. 

An apprenticeship is usually three to four years, and you’ll graduate as a qualified tradesperson.

Common apprenticeships include: 

  • Carpentry or building
  • Hairdressing
  • Mechanics
  • Cooking 

An apprenticeship can be full-time, part-time or school-based. You are required to find your own apprenticeship, and once you do, you and your employer must register the apprenticeship with the Department of Training and Workforce Development Training Apprenticeship Office.

Types of apprenticeships

School-Based Part Time Apprenticeship

A school-based apprenticeship is when you work part time and do your apprenticeship training while still in school. This training can be counted as part of your WACE. If you finish both the formal studies and the on-the-job training whilst still at school you will be able to be a full-time 2nd or 3rd year apprentice after you finish your WACE. You would be training for at least 7.5 hours every week from the start of school at year 11, until the end of school at year 12.

You need to be at least 15 years old to start a school based apprenticeship.

For more information, see this factsheet for students from Jobs & Skills WA: School Based Apprenticeships & Traineeships.

Australian Apprenticeship

An Australian Apprenticeship is for both school leavers and senior high school students. Australian apprentices must go through the Australian Apprenticeship Centre to commence the apprenticeship process – from here, you will be directed to contact an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) to organise your apprenticeship.   

It is similar to the regular school-based apprenticeship program, but this one is run by the Federal Government of Australia and not the State of Western Australia.

The apprenticeship can be undertaken on a full time or part time basis, and you are responsible for applying for an apprentice job with an employer, and for enrolling in an approved course. See the federal government website Australian Apprentices for further information.  

How old do I have to be to start an apprenticeship?

To begin an apprenticeship, you need to be at least 15 years old.

You can start an apprenticeship even when you are still at school. This means you can finish years 11 and 12 when you are already working.

For some occupations, a minimum age is required due to the risk to health, safety or morals for minors for this special kind of work. For example, you need to be 18 to work in areas that serve alcohol.

Training agreements

When you start an apprenticeship, you and your employer need to sign a training contract which sets out all the details of your apprenticeship, roles and responsibilities. 

The WA Government Department of Training and Workforce Development has put together a handy timeline for starting your apprenticeship, including the registration process, which can be found here. 

You can find out more information about how to commence a school-based apprenticeship, including the registration process here.

Attending TAFE WA

Most apprentices in WA are undertaken through TAFE WA, although some can be done through other Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). This means the study or coursework part is done through TAFE, and you do the on the job training with your employer. See here for a list of all qualifications offered in WA and the RTO who offers it.

Most apprenticeships involve attending TAFE one day a week, and working the remaining four days, however this will vary if you’re completing your apprenticeship part time.

How much should I be paid?

An apprentice must be paid either as a full-time employee or a part-time employee, for all hours spent working and undertaking the approve study component., e.g., your time at TAFE. There is no such thing as a “casual” apprenticeship. However, most apprentices are paid a percentage of the regular full-time rate; for example, a second year hairdressing apprentice must be paid no less than 60% of a fully qualified hairdresser rate.

The rate you get will depend on what industry you work in, as well as whether your employment is covered by a modern award, or an enterprise agreement.

Depending on your Award or Enterprise Agreement, there may be other allowances that you are entitled to receive, including payments for books and other training materials.

I’m an apprentice and someone is bullying or discriminating against me at work. What can I do?

Just because you’re an apprentice, it doesn’t mean your boss or work mates can treat you badly.  Employers have a legal duty to ensure the safety of all workers.  This includes protecting workers from bullying, harassment (including sexual harassment), and discrimination. 

As an apprentice, you have the same legal protections as any other employee. If you are being bullied or discriminated against at work, please check out our pages on Workplace bullying and harassment, and Discrimination in the workplace for more information.  

Apprenticeships Support Australia has put together a free guide on bullying in the workplace for apprentices, called Heads Up 

You can also contact us here if something is going on and you would like advice on your options.  


How to make a complaint or enquiry

Sometimes things might go wrong with your apprenticeship, for example: 

  • Your training provider is providing poor quality education
  • Your boss isn’t giving you time off to go to TAFE
  • You’re not being paid properly; or
  • You’re being bullied at work.

For help, you can contact: 

Your union

If you are a member of a union, you can talk to your representative or a union official about what’s going on. They will be able to tell you how they can help, and guide you through the process. Click here if you are unsure which union you can join: Trade Unions.

National Training Complaints Hotline

The Australian Government has established the National Training Complaints Hotline, which is a portal to make your complaint. The Hotline can refer your complaint to the most appropriate authority to have your complaint considered. You can make your complaint at National Training Complaints Hotline. 

Australian Skills Quality Authority

You can contact the Australian Skills Quality Authority if you are having problems with your vocational training. They are responsible for putting together the courses and training courses that you undertake. 

To make a complaint, you will need to fill out a complaint form about an RTO. You can do that by calling them on 1300 701 801 or emailing them at [email protected]. You can also visit their website here.

Australian Apprenticeship Centres

Australian Apprenticeship Centres in each State and Territory can provide further information on Australian Apprenticeships. You can call them on 13 38 73 or visit their website here

Fair Work Ombudsman 

You can contact the FWO for assistance with information about apprenticeships and help with workplace entitlements for all states and territories, by phoning 13 13 94 or visiting FWO – help for apprentices and trainees. 

WA Government Department of Training and Workforce Development

The WA Government Department of Training and Workforce Development has an online complaints form which you can access here: Complaints form.

If you’re under 25 and have a question about apprenticeships that we haven't answered here, please contact us here and we can give you free information and advice.

Got a question you can't get answered?

If you have a problem or a question, you can send it to us today and we can provide you with free advice, information and referrals to help solve your problem. Just click on the button below.

Get help now

Select Your State or Territory

The law is different in each state and territory. Please select your state or territory to view legal information that applies to you.